Which specialist consultations are needed in the treatment of enterococcal infections?

Updated: Jun 10, 2021
  • Author: Susan L Fraser, MD; Chief Editor: John L Brusch, MD, FACP  more...
  • Print

Consultation with an infectious diseases specialist should be considered for all patients with serious infections caused by Enterococcus species, particularly when multiresistant strains are isolated.

Consult with hospital infection control policy experts when treating patients with colonization or infection with VRE.

Consult with pharmacy experts in the treatment of infections may be indicated, especially when treating resistant or refractory infections, and especially when using medications off-label.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!