Which specialist consultations are beneficial to patients with botulism?

Updated: Feb 15, 2019
  • Author: Kirk M Chan-Tack, MD; Chief Editor: Pranatharthi Haran Chandrasekar, MBBS, MD  more...
  • Print

A nutritionist should be consulted for hyperalimentation and tube-feeding recommendations and monitoring.

Physical and occupational therapists are needed to work on range-of-motion exercises and assisted ambulation, as tolerated.

A psychiatrist and/or a psychologist is recommended for counseling, as needed; patients with prolonged hospitalization, slow recovery, and complications from the disease or from extended hospitalization are at increased risk for depression.

Pastoral care is recommended, as needed.

Physical medicine and rehabilitation specialists may be helpful in coordinating long-term rehabilitation planning once sustained recovery has begun.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!