Which specialist consultations may be beneficial in the management of posterior cerebral artery (PCA) stroke?

Updated: Jul 30, 2018
  • Author: Erek K Helseth, MD; Chief Editor: Helmi L Lutsep, MD  more...
  • Print

Stroke care is a multidisciplinary process. Participants may include a neurointensivist, a neurointerventionalist, a vascular surgeon, a neurologic surgeon, a stroke nurse specialist, a physical therapist, an occupational therapist, a speech therapist, a physiatrist or rehabilitation neurologist, and a case manager or social worker.

Ophthalmologists accurately plot visual-field loss in patients with posterior cerebral artery (PCA) stroke and can recommend corrective lenses and compensation techniques.

Pain specialists use many strategies to treat rare, intractable thalamic pain, including the employment of anticonvulsants (carbamazepine [Tegretol], gabapentin [Neurontin]) and tricyclic medications (amitriptyline [Elavil]). In addition, topiramate (Topamax) has been found to be helpful in treating headache and painful dysesthesias.

A psychiatrist may assist with treatment of mood disorders and psychotic symptoms. A neuropsychologist can help to assess and document cognitive function, which is especially important for persons returning to professional duties, considering living alone, or applying for disability.

Early attention to rehabilitation and eventual reintegration into the community speeds recovery and shortens the length of hospital stay.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!