Which specialists should be consulted for all new cases of HIV infection?

Updated: Jul 27, 2020
  • Author: Shelley A Gilroy, MD, FACP, FIDSA; Chief Editor: Michael Stuart Bronze, MD  more...
  • Print

Consultation with an infectious disease or HIV specialist should be strongly considered for all new cases of HIV infection. Studies have clearly shown that the successful management of patients with HIV is related to the expertise and HIV caseload of the treating physician. In particular, pediatric cases of HIV infection are handled differently; cutoffs for CD4 counts at which prophylaxis would be recommended and antiviral drug availability (on- or off-study for experimental drugs or regimens) differ on the basis of age.

Input from an infectious disease consultant may be helpful in the management of other unrelated illnesses in patients infected with HIV.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!