What is the prevalence of congenital fibrinogen disorders?

Updated: Oct 28, 2019
  • Author: Muhammad A Mir, MD, FACP; Chief Editor: Perumal Thiagarajan, MD  more...
  • Print
Answer

Answer

The true prevalence of congenital fibrinogen disorders is unknown. The condition appears to be rare, however, with only 400 families reported as of 2012. [3, 4] Of these patients, 55% were asymptomatic (their cases detected by chance), 25% had bleeding symptoms, and 20% presented with thrombosis. The prevalence of dysfibrinogenemia in patients with a history of venous thrombosis is low (0.8%), as deduced from 9 studies in 7 countries on 2376 subjects. [4] No variation by race, age, or sex is known. Mortality is related to the severity of bleeding and/or to thrombotic complications at presentation.


Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!