When is consultation with an ophthalmologist or urologist indicated in the treatment of sickle cell disease (SCD)?

Updated: May 12, 2021
  • Author: Joseph E Maakaron, MD; Chief Editor: Emmanuel C Besa, MD  more...
  • Print

If retinopathy or hyphema is suspected and visual symptoms are present, consultation with an ophthalmologist is warranted. In cases of priapism that does not resolve after 6 hours of hydration and analgesia, consult a urologist for corpus cavernosum aspiration or shunting.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!