Which specialist consultations may be required for complications of sickle cell disease (SCD)?

Updated: May 12, 2021
  • Author: Joseph E Maakaron, MD; Chief Editor: Emmanuel C Besa, MD  more...
  • Print

If avascular necrosis of the hip is suspected in a patient with hip pain and difficulty in walking, consult an orthopedist for possible hip joint replacement. Orthopedic consultation is also appropriate if osteomyelitis is suspected. Interventional radiologists may play a role in obtaining a sample to identify the infecting organism in osteomyelitis. Imaging guidance may also allow the drainage of subperiosteal and soft tissue abscesses with the patient under light sedation, thereby avoiding surgery and general anesthesia.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!