Which specialist consultations may be required in the treatment of sickle cell disease (SCD)?

Updated: May 12, 2021
  • Author: Joseph E Maakaron, MD; Chief Editor: Emmanuel C Besa, MD  more...
  • Print

Consultation with a hematologist may be necessary. Each of the protean manifestations of SCD may require assistance from an expert in the involved area. Consultations with pain management experts, social workers, psychiatrists and physical therapists, substance abuse counselors, and vocational rehabilitation workers may be required. Consultation with infectious disease specialists is recommended during febrile illness.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!