Which specialist consultations are needed for the management of necrotizing fasciitis?

Updated: Sep 02, 2020
  • Author: Steven A Schulz, MD; Chief Editor: Michael Stuart Bronze, MD  more...
  • Print

A team approach is the best method of treating this complicated disorder. Team members should include the following:

  • Surgeon

  • Infectious disease specialist

  • Pathologist

  • Microbiologist

Depending on the infection site, the team may also include a urologist; a specialist in plastic surgery; or an ear, nose, and throat surgeon in cases of infections of the cervical area. [111]

The specialists and subspecialists involved should discuss the patient's condition and determine a comprehensive plan of treatment.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!