Which specialists should be consulted for the treatment of Osler-Weber-Rendu disease (OWRD) (hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia [HHT])?

Updated: Oct 06, 2020
  • Author: Klaus-Dieter Lessnau, MD, FCCP; Chief Editor: Vincent Lopez Rowe, MD  more...
  • Print

Consultation with multiple specialists can be useful in the diagnosis and treatment of OWRD (ie, HHT). Optimal management of AVMs may require a multidisciplinary approach. Similarly, management of syndromes resulting from severe hepatic disease (eg, encephalopathy, portal hypertension, and heart failure) may require cooperation between many disciplines. Certain specialists may have to be consulted only when particular complications arise.

Consultations to be considered, depending on the severity and manifestations of HHT, include the following:

  • Dermatologist
  • Pulmonologist
  • Hematologist
  • Cardiologist
  • Gastroenterologist
  • Neurologist
  • Neurosurgeon
  • Interventional radiologist
  • Transplant surgeon

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!