Which specialist consultations are needed in the treatment of methemoglobinemia?

Updated: Dec 09, 2018
  • Author: Mary Denshaw-Burke, MD, FACP; Chief Editor: Emmanuel C Besa, MD  more...
  • Print

Consultation with a toxicologist should be obtained for those who are not familiar with or who are not comfortable with the treatment of methemoglobinemia. Consultation with other specialists (eg, a hematologist, cardiologist, or pulmonologist) may be required to assist in the search for the cause of the methemoglobinemia.

In patients with severe symptoms, consultation with a critical care specialist should be obtained. If the methemoglobinemia is severe, it may be life-threatening; hence, an American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC)-certified regional poison control center or a medical toxicologist should be consulted.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!