Which specialists should be consulted in the diagnosis and management of disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC)?

Updated: Dec 06, 2020
  • Author: Marcel M Levi, MD; Chief Editor: Srikanth Nagalla, MBBS, MS, FACP  more...
  • Print

Consult a hematologist for assistance with diagnosis and management if the clinical picture is suggestive of DIC. Consult a transfusion specialist or a blood bank; determine the availability of general and specialized blood products that may be necessary for the acute management of fulminant DIC. Consult a critical care specialist if multiple organ failure is present.

Early consultation is indicated for this complicated, life-threatening condition. Obtain other subspecialty consultations as indicated by the patient’s primary diagnosis.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!