Which specialist consultations are needed for management of pressure injuries (pressure ulcers)?

Updated: Mar 26, 2020
  • Author: Christian N Kirman, MD; Chief Editor: John Geibel, MD, MSc, DSc, AGAF  more...
  • Print

A multidisciplinary approach can yield maximal benefit. Neurosurgery, urology, plastic surgery, orthopedic surgery, and general surgery consultations all may be indicated in a given case. Rehabilitation medicine specialists, social workers, and psychologists or psychiatrists may work with geriatricians and internists to improve the patient’s health, attitude, support structure, and living environment. Plastic surgeons perform most pressure injury reconstructions; a plastic surgery consultation is appropriate with any complex or chronic wound.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!