What are other names used for pressure injuries (pressure ulcers)?

Updated: Mar 26, 2020
  • Author: Christian N Kirman, MD; Chief Editor: John Geibel, MD, MSc, DSc, AGAF  more...
  • Print

The terms decubitus ulcer (from Latin decumbere, “to lie down”), pressure sore, and pressure ulcer have often been used interchangeably in the medical community. However, as the name suggests, decubitus ulcer occurs at sites overlying bony structures that are prominent when a person is recumbent. Hence, it is not an accurate term for ulcers occurring in other positions, such as prolonged sitting (eg, ischial tuberosity ulcer). Because the common denominator of all such ulcerations is pressure, pressure ulcer came to be considered the best term to use.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!