Which specialist consultations are needed for the treatment of portal hypertension?

Updated: Nov 30, 2017
  • Author: Jesus Carale, MD; Chief Editor: BS Anand, MD  more...
  • Print

Consider early consultation with a gastroenterologist and a surgeon, particularly for patients with active bleeding from esophageal varices. Consultation with a hepatologist and transplant surgery should be considered in patients with Child class B or C disease or a high Model for End-Stage Liver Disease (MELD) score. Good coordination among gastroenterologists, interventional radiologists, critical care team, and surgeons is essential.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!