What is a pseudocyst in chronic pancreatitis?

Updated: Jul 15, 2019
  • Author: Jason L Huffman, MD; Chief Editor: BS Anand, MD  more...
  • Print
Answer

A pseudocyst is a collection of pancreatic juice enclosed by a wall of fibrous or granulation tissue. It arises as a consequence of acute pancreatitis, pancreatic trauma, or chronic pancreatitis. The clinical challenge is to diagnose a cystic pancreatic structure correctly as a pseudocyst. As many as 5% of cysts are retention cysts, another 5% of these cysts are either congenital in origin or acquired (as in von Hippel-Lindau syndrome), and 10% are neoplastic in origin (mucinous vs serous cyst).


Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!