Which specialist consultations are needed for the treatment of peritonitis and abdominal sepsis?

Updated: Jul 23, 2019
  • Author: Brian J Daley, MD, MBA, FACS, FCCP, CNSC; Chief Editor: Praveen K Roy, MD, AGAF  more...
  • Print

The treatment of intra-abdominal sepsis requires a multidisciplinary approach. In the treatment of secondary peritonitis, a surgeon must be consulted. Interventional radiology may need to be consulted if ultrasound or CT-guided drainage of an abscess is being considered.

Other consultations may include the following:

  • Gastroenterology

  • Infectious disease

  • Critical care

  • Diet/nutrition

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!