Which specialist consultations are needed for the management of hydatid disease (echinococcosis)?

Updated: May 07, 2019
  • Author: Imad S Dandan, MD; Chief Editor: BS Anand, MD  more...
  • Print

Consultants are needed in different contexts to help in the management of cystic echinococcosis (CE) and alveolar echinococcosis (AE).

Although an infectious disease consultant is needed to help in the administration and monitoring of chemotherapeutic agents, the interventional radiologist has different roles in CE and AE.

In certain cases of CE, the puncture, aspiration, injection, and reaspiration (PAIR) procedure is needed. In certain instances involving AE, interventions are required to improve organ function.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!