Which medical or surgical specialties should be consulted for the management of hemochromatosis?

Updated: Apr 03, 2017
  • Author: Andrea Duchini, MD; Chief Editor: Praveen K Roy, MD, AGAF  more...
  • Print

In addition, due to the multiorgan nature of the disease and the injury or damage to many intrinsic systems, care and treatment of patients with hemochromatosis require the collaboration of other physicians in different medical or surgical specialties, such as the following:

  • An endocrinologist is helpful in treating patients with diabetes mellitus or other endocrine complications, such as thyroid and gonadal dysfunction

  • A cardiologist assists in the management of severe congestive heart failure and other cardiac complications, such as arrhythmias

  • An infectious disease specialist can treat patients with sepsis and can also choose the appropriate antibiotic therapy for rare infectious complications

  • A rheumatologist or an orthopedist is required for the management of joint complications.

  • A geneticist is valuable for family screening in all first-degree relatives of newly diagnosed individuals

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!