When is transfer to centers with experienced GI and surgical services indicated for esophageal motility disorders?

Updated: Dec 29, 2017
  • Author: Eric A Gaumnitz, MD; Chief Editor: Praveen K Roy, MD, AGAF  more...
  • Print

Patients with achalasia, DES, or other motility disorders who need aggressive endoscopic or surgical interventions should be referred to centers with experienced gastrointestinal and surgical services.

Gastroenterologists dealing with such disease processes should be familiar with performance and interpretation of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. This also is true for surgeons, who need to be familiar with the surgical intervention involved.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!