Which manometric findings indicate achalasia?

Updated: Dec 29, 2017
  • Author: Eric A Gaumnitz, MD; Chief Editor: Praveen K Roy, MD, AGAF  more...
  • Print
Answer

Achalasia

In patients with achalasia, aperistalsis of the esophageal body and incomplete relaxation of the LES are the manometric hallmark of this disease. Using these criteria, diagnosis can be achieved in more than 90% of patients. In the remaining 10%, the manometry is nondiagnostic, which probably is related to inability to position the catheter across the LES due to extensive esophageal dilation and tortuosity.


Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!