Which specialist consultations are needed for the treatment of systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS)?

Updated: May 07, 2018
  • Author: Lewis J Kaplan, MD, FACS, FCCM, FCCP; Chief Editor: Michael R Pinsky, MD, CM, Dr(HC), FCCP, FAPS, MCCM  more...
  • Print

Consultations vary depending on the admitting physician's training and the cause of systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS); for example, cardiology consultation for acute myocardial infarction or gastroenterology for acute GI bleeding. Patients with potential surgical issues should undergo a surgical evaluation, often in the emergency department, early in the course of their illness.

Consider consultation with an intensivist, if one is available. If organ dysfunction develops, the intensivist or a consultant specialist in that organ system should be involved.

Early consultation with an expert in infectious diseases is particularly helpful for patients who are immunocompromised, regardless of the cause (eg, human immunodeficiency virus [HIV] infection, acquired immunodeficiency syndrome [AIDS], malignancy, solid organ transplantation). This specialist can also provide guidance in situations in which patients are not responding to standard antibiotic therapy, have multiple drug allergies, or are infected with multidrug-resistant organisms or when a diagnosis is still uncertain.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!