What is the prevalence of antidromic and orthodromic tachycardia in Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) syndrome?

Updated: Jan 08, 2017
  • Author: Christopher R Ellis, MD, FACC, FHRS; Chief Editor: Mikhael F El-Chami, MD  more...
  • Print
Answer

Only about 5% of the tachycardias in patients who have WPW syndrome are antidromic tachycardias; the remaining 95% are orthodromic. Even when the AP conducts solely in a retrograde fashion, it can still participate in the reentrant circuit and produce an orthodromic AV reciprocating tachycardia with a narrow QRS morphology. The presence of an antidromic tachycardia should prompt a careful search for a second bypass tract. [10, 11]  About 10-15% of patients with WPW have a second pathway. [11]


Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!