Which specialist consultations are beneficial to patients with dilated cardiomyopathy?

Updated: Mar 02, 2021
  • Author: Vinh Q Nguyen, MD, FACC; Chief Editor: Gyanendra K Sharma, MD, FACC, FASE  more...
  • Print

Consult an internist, an intensivist, or a cardiologist as indicated for admission when a patient has been diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy for the first time or for continued inpatient treatment or monitoring. Emergent consultation with a cardiologist is indicated in unstable patients for echocardiography in the emergency department.

Refer appropriate patients with New York Heart Association (NYHA) functional class III-IV dilated cardiomyopathy to cardiology services for consideration of advanced therapies, including implantation of left ventricular assist devices (LVADs) or heart transplantation.

Patients with familial dilated cardiomyopathy can register with the Dilated Cardiomyopathy Research Project (formerly Familial Dilated Cardiomyopathy [FDC] Research Group), whose contact information is as follows:

Dilated Cardiomyopathy Research Project

Telephone (toll free): (877) 800-3430


Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!