Which specialist consultations are beneficial to patients with macrophage activation syndrome (MAS)?

Updated: Nov 21, 2018
  • Author: Angelo Ravelli, MD; Chief Editor: Lawrence K Jung, MD  more...
  • Print

Multiple subspecialists are often needed to manage a patient with macrophage activation syndrome and may include rheumatologist, hematologist/oncologist, infectious disease specialist, intensivist, and others.

A study looked for insights into the heterogeneity of macrophage activation syndrome (MAS) complicating systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis (sJIA) through the analysis of a large patient sample collected in a multinational survey. The study found that patients seen in North America were given biologics more frequently. Patients entered by pediatric hemato-oncologists were treated more commonly with biologics and etoposide, whereas patients seen by pediatric rheumatologists more frequently received cyclosporine. The study underscores the need to establish uniform therapeutic protocols. [57]

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!