Which specialist consultations are needed for the management of anaphylaxis?

Updated: May 16, 2018
  • Author: S Shahzad Mustafa, MD; Chief Editor: Michael A Kaliner, MD  more...
  • Print

Most patients with anaphylaxis should be referred to an allergist-immunologist for further evaluation and treatment. However, the Rochester County study demonstrated that 42% of patients were referred for such a consultation, [11] and emergency departments fared worse in both civilian and military settings, 12-20% and 29%, respectively.

Consultation with an allergist (when available) is appropriate when desensitization to an antibiotic is contemplated. When no inciting agent has been identified, consider referral to an allergist to identify the cause of anaphylaxis.

Some anaphylactic reactions are so severe that treatment is unsuccessful and death occurs. This underscores the critical importance of education, avoidance, and prevention. An allergist-immunologist can provide comprehensive professional advice on these matters. [78]

In the case of severe anaphylaxis requiring admission to the ICU, a critical care specialist should be consulted. When a patient at high risk for contrast reaction is under consideration for a contrast study, consultation with the radiologist regarding pretreatment and choice of contrast agent is appropriate.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!