Which specialist should be consulted for the administration of short-term desensitization protocols in the treatment of anaphylaxis?

Updated: May 16, 2018
  • Author: S Shahzad Mustafa, MD; Chief Editor: Michael A Kaliner, MD  more...
  • Print

Published protocols exist for short-term desensitization and are available for various medications. Consult an allergist-immunologist skilled in desensitization procedures to perform these protocols. Most protocols require the patient to be in an ICU setting throughout the procedure and to have established IV access and epinephrine at the bedside before the procedure starts. Obtain informed consent prior to the procedure. Anaphylaxis is a potential complication of this procedure.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!