When should specialist consultation be considered for the treatment of allergic rhinitis (hay fever)?

Updated: Dec 26, 2018
  • Author: Javed Sheikh, MD; Chief Editor: Michael A Kaliner, MD  more...
  • Print

While the general practitioner can effectively treat most cases of straightforward allergic rhinitis, consider consultation with an allergist or immunologist for severe disease, poor response to pharmacotherapy, and the presence of comorbid conditions or complications. Consultation with other specialists also might be needed for comorbid conditions or complications. Consult with an allergy specialist when identification or clarification of specific allergic triggers is needed, when detailed counseling regarding environmental control measures is needed, when quality of life is significantly impaired, or when immunotherapy may be a consideration.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!