Which specialist consultations are beneficial to patients with venous thromboembolism (VTE)?

Updated: Nov 05, 2020
  • Author: Vera A De Palo, MD, MBA, FCCP; Chief Editor: Vinod K Panchbhavi, MD, FACS, FAOA, FABOS, FAAOS  more...
  • Print

When PE is suspected, consultation with a pulmonologist may be useful to aid in the diagnosis or to guide therapy. When the intravascular filling defect is so severe that it causes cardiac dysfunction or hypotension, the patient can be best served by transfer to an intensive care setting. Consultation with an intensive care specialist or pulmonologist would be helpful in decision-making regarding thrombolysis and in following the effectiveness of treatment.

If cancer or a hematologic disorder is one of the contributing risk factors, consultation with a hematologist or oncologist may be appropriate.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!