When is the use of a specialized lipid center indicated for the diagnosis of hypertriglyceridemia (high triglyceride levels)?

Updated: Jul 23, 2021
  • Author: Mary Ellen T Sweeney, MD; Chief Editor: Romesh Khardori, MD, PhD, FACP  more...
  • Print

Specialized lipid centers should be contacted if type IIb or III must be confirmed. In most clinical settings, however, distinguishing between these entities is rarely necessary, because the treatment of both conditions is essentially the same. Diet modification, exercise, and appropriate weight loss improve both. Type IIb and III also respond to the same medications—niacin and/or fibric acid derivatives. [48] Therefore, no matter which diagnosis applies to a given patient, the treatment is the same.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!