What is the prevalence of developmental dysplasia of the hip (DDH)?

Updated: Feb 26, 2018
  • Author: Junichi Tamai, MD; Chief Editor: William L Jaffe, MD  more...
  • Print
Answer

The overall frequency of DDH is usually reported as approximately 1 case per 1000 individuals, though Barlow believed that the incidence of hip instability during newborn examinations was as high as 1 case per 60 newborns. [22] According to Barlow's study, more than 60% of newborns with hip instability became stable by age 1 week, and 88% became stable by age 2 months, leaving only 12% (of the 1 in 60 newborns, or 0.2% overall) with residual hip instability.


Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!