Which specialist consultations are needed for the treatment of viral conjunctivitis (pink eye)?

Updated: Mar 24, 2020
  • Author: Ingrid U Scott, MD, MPH; Chief Editor: Andrew A Dahl, MD, FACS  more...
  • Print

An important aspect of treatment is to know the proper time to refer the patient to a specialist.

Patients with hyperacute conjunctivitis or those with corneal involvement, significant visual loss, concomitant uveitis, conjunctival membrane or pseudomembrane formation, corneal ulceration, herpetic keratitis, or suspected orbital cellulitis should be referred to an ophthalmologist.

An ophthalmologist also should evaluate patients who fail to respond to appropriate therapy.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!