When is referral to a neurologist or epileptologist indicated for treatment of epileptic seizures?

Updated: May 30, 2019
  • Author: David Y Ko, MD; Chief Editor: Selim R Benbadis, MD  more...
  • Print

Refer patients with intractable spells to a neurologist or an epileptologist for further workup, including video-electroencephalographic (EEG) monitoring, to characterize the etiology of their seizures. A neurosurgical consult is recommended when the possibility of surgical management is considered.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!