Which specialist consultations are needed for the treatment of psychogenic nonepileptic seizures (PNES)?

Updated: Jul 26, 2018
  • Author: Selim R Benbadis, MD; Chief Editor: Helmi L Lutsep, MD  more...
  • Print

From a practical point of view, the role of the neurologists and other medical specialists is to determine whether organic disease exists. Once the symptoms are shown to be psychogenic, the exact psychiatric diagnosis and its treatment are best handled by the psychiatrist. The neurologist should work with a psychiatrist who understands PNES.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!