Which specialist consultations are beneficial to patients with spinal muscular atrophy (SMA)?

Updated: May 29, 2019
  • Author: Jeffrey Rosenfeld, MD, PhD, FAAN; Chief Editor: Stephen L Nelson, Jr, MD, PhD, FAACPDM, FAAN, FAAP  more...
  • Print

Consultations for ancillary evaluations and treatments are appropriate. Consult the following specialists as needed: physical therapist, occupational therapist, speech therapist, dietary or nutritional therapist, social service staff, pulmonologist, orthopedics, and gastroenterologist. Palliative care consultation may be considered upon diagnosis of SMA1. [38]

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!