What information about common household items should patients receive to reduce accidental mercury exposures?

Updated: Nov 05, 2018
  • Author: David A Olson, MD; Chief Editor: Tarakad S Ramachandran, MBBS, MBA, MPH, FAAN, FACP, FAHA, FRCP, FRCPC, FRS, LRCP, MRCP, MRCS  more...
  • Print
Answer

Mercury is being found more often in our household items such as fluorescent bulbs and the risk of potential exposure has increased. The need to understand proper procedure for disposing of potential exposure is critical. The EPA has outlined a clear process to dispose of accidental spill. For complete details on mercury spills with specifics related to a broken thermometer or fluorescent bulb, visit the EPA Web site. [61]


Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!