Which specialist consultations are indicated in the treatment of ketoacidosis (AKA)?

Updated: Aug 27, 2020
  • Author: George Ansstas, MD; Chief Editor: Romesh Khardori, MD, PhD, FACP  more...
  • Print

The underlying severity of the disease process and of the underlying diseases associated with AKA determines the role of the consultant. Patients with uncomplicated AKA may need nothing more than appropriate treatment and observation until their metabolic and systemic abnormalities are resolved. Patients with an acute abdomen need consultation with a surgeon. Patients with underlying medical problems may need to consult with the appropriate specialist.

If indicated, provide follow-up with AKA patients to assess the problem of alcohol abuse. Consider referral to a counselor at an alcohol treatment center.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!