Which specialists should be consulted in the treatment of migraine headache?

Updated: Oct 21, 2019
  • Author: Jasvinder Chawla, MD, MBA; Chief Editor: Helmi L Lutsep, MD  more...
  • Print

Migraineurs should be screened for cardiovascular risk factors, which, if present, should be aggressively treated. Migraineurs with aura should also be counseled on the increased risk of stroke with smoking and oral contraceptive use.

A neurologist, neuro-ophthalmologist, and/or neurosurgeon should be consulted as deemed clinically appropriate for the treatment of patients with migraine.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!