Which specialist consultations are beneficial to patients with cutaneous manifestations of HIV infection?

Updated: Mar 26, 2021
  • Author: Robert A Schwartz, MD, MPH; Chief Editor: William D James, MD  more...
  • Print


Overall care for patients with HIV should be provided by a primary care practitioner with expertise in managing the disease. Infectious disease consultants are typically involved in the care of these patients. Patients confronting this chronic and debilitating disease may require additional support services.

The following are other specialists that may be consulted:

  • Ophthalmologist for CMV retinitis

  • Neurologist and anesthesiologist for postherpetic neuralgia and neurologic symptoms

  • Nephrologist to adjust the doses of antiviral agents

  • Psychiatrist to encourage the expression of deep emotions, such as grief, guilt, and anger

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!