Which shoulder dislocations should be referred to an orthopedic surgeon for correction?

Updated: Aug 17, 2018
  • Author: Anantha K Mallia, DO, FACEP; Chief Editor: Erik D Schraga, MD  more...
  • Print

For subcoracoid and subglenoid dislocations, which account for 99% of anterior shoulder dislocations, joint reduction by the ED physician is typically indicated. Subclavicular or intrathoracic dislocations, which are caused by large forces, are not easily corrected and should be referred to an orthopedic surgeon. [7]

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!