Which specialist consultations are beneficial to patients with varicose veins and spider veins (telangiectasia)?

Updated: Sep 25, 2020
  • Author: Robert Weiss, MD; Chief Editor: William D James, MD  more...
  • Print

If ultrasound imaging demonstrates isolated spider veins without underlying reflux, the problem may be treated in the office without difficulty.

Patients with identifiable underlying reflux or other signs of significant venous disease must be referred for consultation with a phlebologist (a physician or surgeon with a special interest and special training in venous diagnosis and therapeutics).

The American College of Phlebology and the American Venous Forum are national medical specialty societies that can refer patients to a nearby specialist.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!