Which specialist consultations may be beneficial in the treatment of CREST syndrome?

Updated: Oct 05, 2020
  • Author: Jeanie C Yoon, MD; Chief Editor: Dirk M Elston, MD  more...
  • Print

Rheumatologists often primarily follow CREST syndrome patients. Referral to a rheumatologist is advised.

Dermatologists are often involved early and aid in the diagnosis of CREST syndrome.

Gastroenterologists may be asked to perform endoscopy for evaluation of esophageal disease. A gastroenterologist also should be consulted for an evaluation of GI bleeding resulting from telangiectasia and for the treatment of the condition.

Psychiatrists may be consulted to evaluate and treat depression and anxiety.

Occupational or physical therapy may be helpful if a patient has digit and hand strength deficits due to sclerodactyly.

Did this answer your question?
Additional feedback? (Optional)
Thank you for your feedback!